Sunday 8 September 2013

Inroads

I made some inroads into my current needlework projects this week. I didn't make inroads into my constant adding to my stash though.....

I have had fun for the most part this week but a little gutted that I had already done some work on Lesson #6 for the Mermaids when Amy announced that there were some errors in the charts....bugger!

 
This is how far I got before Amy notified the errors. So looking at the revised charts I now have to unpick the two lines of blue backstitching at the top and tail of the mirror and redo the basting circle in red. Frustrating as the backstitching takes ages and is easy to miscount the threads......aarrrrrggghhh but at least I hadn't done more stuff that is much harder to unpick.

 
I have made progress on the Needleworker's Pocketbook. The eyelets are quite fun and really make for a lacey look on the piece. There are rather a lot more though so might not think of them as so much 'fun' in the near future as they certainly progress slower than the cross stitch. This is a nice relaxing piece to stitch in the evenings as I can see the threads just with my normal glasses and watch TV without getting lost.
 
 
.........and onto the Essamplaire casket. I have been plugging away at the needlelace on the top of the piece at my desk during the day as the pieces are all detached and small and fiddly. I was a complete novice to needlelace at the start of this course but learnt to do it while stitching the Mermaid. Like all things, the more I do the better I get. Thank goodness for Amy Mitten's Mermaid instructions for learning this technique as I didn't realise when I took this casket course that it really is assumed that you know how to do this stuff and there are no detailed instructions. I am loving how it all slowly comes together and  this is a 2 - 3 year course so loads to do. I am now ready to start the frieze beginning with the satin stitch on the butterfly. I am treating this casket course, which is a reproduction of 'The Burrell Casket', as a stumpwork practice piece so when I finally design and begin work on my own casket using the Thistle Threads wooden form I will be adept at all the techniques. Also really looking forward to being a part of the Thistle Threads stumpwork course which is to commence next year. We are up to lesson #5 on the Cabinet of Curiosities course and I am loving every minute of the history and technique. Next month we get to do some stitching for the course, what fun.
 
 
Detail of the flower on the left hand side of the top which consists of detached leaves and petals. There are also detached wings on the moth above the flower and the body is padded needlelace..

 
Detail of the flower on the right hand side of the top which also consists of detached leaves and petals. The stem is couched gimp and the caterpillar is padded needlelace.

 
He is totally factually not the right colour for a leopard but I adore him just the same. Love that smirk.....

Now for the lack of inroads......

 
I ordered the DVD of the SANQ collection from Silver Needle. Looking forward to wiling away the hours with my 'cup of contemplation' and reading all these back issues. What a great idea for those of us who are new subscribers to this magazine.


I received my order of goodies this week from Inspired Needle. I have also placed another order this week with Cathy, who is super helpful, for some more GigiR charts (including the latest offering of 'The lady in red spinning her wool'), some Weeks Dye Works Linen's, Gentle Art Sampler Threads to stitch the GigiR Sampler from Saxony chart I have already and some more Evertite frames. I just love these frames, they are so light and allow you to practically 'work in hand' as they are super comfortable to manoeuvre and hold the work tight well. I have not yet come to terms with the whole concept of lacing several expensive slate frame's for a complete work on a casket.

 
I got my latest issue of the british magazine 'Homes & Antiques. I am still in love with all things historical and british chocolate boxey!

 
I also got the kit for the 'Mute but not silent' sampler that Amy Mitten offers as a workshop. Being as I live in  NZ and could never attend her kitting it up for me means I can still do it...yes!
 
Then, just to top off the week Tricia from Thistle Threads emailed me to say that my Mirror form is on it's way along with the two outstanding kits for the Gold Master Class and May your Hands and some supplies I ordered. Yippee! Next will be the flat top casket which when I last asked her maybe a month ago was looking to ship September. It's close anyway and I am in the third lot to go. Oh joy!
 
Even if the design process takes ages, there is nothing like having the actual form in front of you so you can stick designs onto it for a true visual. Well at least that's how I like to work. Just need to find the $$$ now for the double casket and that will be the next couple of decades stitching sorted........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time out to look at my blog and to partake of my creative pursuits. Creating with textiles and fibres is a passion I embrace with abandon. Comments from those who understand this joy are food for the soul.
You can catch me at reconstructedfabulousness@gmail.com

Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...